MULTIPLE CHOICE. Choose the one alternative that best completes the statement or answers the question.
Solve the problem.
10) We are interested in comparing the average supermarket prices of two leading colas. Our sample was taken by randomly selecting eight supermarkets and recording the price of a six-pack of each brand of cola at each supermarket. The data are shown in the following table:
Find a 98% confidence interval for the difference in mean price of brand 1 and brand 2.
A) 0.0375 ± 0.0404 B) 0.0375 ± 0.1393 C) 0.0375 ± 0.0471 D) 0.0375 ± 0.0347
11) Which supermarket has the lowest prices in town? All claim to be cheaper, but an independent agency recently was asked to investigate this question. The agency randomly selected 100 items common to each of two supermarkets (labeled A and B) and recorded the prices charged by each supermarket. The summary results are provided below:
xA = 2.09 xB = 1.99 d = .10
sA = 0.22 sB = 0.19 sd = .03
Assuming the data represent a matched pairs design, calculate the confidence interval for comparing mean prices using a 95% confidence level.
A) .10 ± .00588 B) .10 ± .056975 C) .10 ± .1255 D) .10 ± .004935
12) A researcher is investigating which of two newly developed automobile engine oils is better at prolonging the life of an engine. Since there are a variety of automobile engines, 20 different engine types were randomly selected and were tested using each of the two engine oils. The number of hours of continuous use before engine breakdown was recorded for each engine oil. Suppose the following 95% confidence interval for μA –
μB was calculated: (100, 2500). Which of the following inferences is correct?
A) We are 95% confident that an engine using oil A has a higher mean number of hours of continuous use before breakdown than does an engine using oil B.
B) We are 95% confident that the mean number of hours of continuous use of an engine using oil A is between 100 and 2500 hours.
C) We are 95% confident that an engine using oil B has a higher mean number of hours of continuous use before breakdown than does an engine using oil A.
D) We are 95% confident that no significant differences exists in the mean number of hours of continuous use before breakdown of engines using oils A and B.
13) An inventor has developed a new spray coating that is designed to improve the wear of bicycle tires. To test the
new coating, the inventor randomly selects one of the two tires on each of 50 bicycles to be coated with the new spray. The bicycle is then driven for 100 miles and the amount of the depth of the tread left on the two bicycle tires is measured (in millimeters). It is desired to determine whether the new spray coating improves the wear of the bicycle tires. The data and summary information is shown below:
Use the summary data to construct a 90% confidence interval for the difference between the means.
A) 0.53 ± 0.01663 B) 0.53 ± 0.04512 C) 0.53 ± 0.01396 D) 0.53 ± 0.03787
SHORT ANSWER. Write the word or phrase that best completes each statement or answers the question.
14) A new weight-reducing technique, consisting of a liquid protein diet, is currently undergoing tests by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) before its introduction into the market. The weights of a random sample of five people are recorded before they are introduced to the liquid protein diet. The five individuals are then instructed to follow the liquid protein diet for 3 weeks. At the end of this period, their weights (in pounds) are again recorded. The results are listed in the table. Let μ1 be the true mean weight of individuals before starting the diet and let μ2 be the true mean weight of individuals after 3 weeks on the diet.
Person Weight Before Diet Weight After Diet
1 166 159
2 211 206
3 204 201
4 213 207
5 220 216
Summary information is as follows: d = 5, sd = 1.58. Calculate a 90% confidence interval for the difference between the mean weights before and after the diet is used.
15) The data for a random sample of five paired observations are shown below.
Pair Observation 1 Observation 2
1 3 5
2 4 4
3 3 4
4 2 5
5 5 6
a. Calculate the difference between each pair of observations by subtracting observation 2 from observation 1. Use the differences to calculate d and sd.
b. Calculate the means x1 and x2 of each column of observations. Show that
d = x1 – x2.
c. Form a 90% confidence interval for μD.
GraduateWriterHelp.com is an online academic writing platform that provides extensive assistance to graduate school students as they work through their research projects, papers and dissertations. GraduateWriterHelp.com gives students access to experienced professionals who can provide the help they need in a timely and efficient manner. The service offers a wide range of services, including editing, proofreading, formatting, researching and more that can give students the confidence they need to write the perfect paper or dissertation for their chosen subject matter.
Services Offered by GraduateWriterHelp.com
GraduateWriterHelp.com offers a wealth of different services designed to make research projects easier for graduate school students. These include editing, proofreading, formatting and researching services, all tailored specifically for graduate-level studies such as PhDs or Master’s degrees in any field from business administration to engineering or even psychology – all with the aim of helping busy students find success in their academics without having to sacrifice other important commitments like family time or work hours towards earning a living wage outside of college hours.
The Benefits of Using GraduateWriterHelp.com
Using GraduateWriterHelp.com gives you access to experts from all over the world who are highly qualified and experienced in helping graduate-level students to complete successful projects in various fields quickly and efficiently – something that would otherwise be difficult, if not impossible, given tight deadlines associated with most Ph.D./Master’s degree programs today. Moreover, using this platform makes it easier for students to keep up with multiple research tasks simultaneously since there are so many different experts available on tap at any one time – no longer will you have to put off studying one topic while focusing on another because of lack of resources! Additionally, having access to professional editors, proofreaders, but also formatters means that quality control standards aren’t sacrificed when finishing major pieces – since these individuals understand what makes up good academic writing better than anyone else and can offer guidance on how best one should go about making improvements along those lines. Finally, there is also an added cost-saving benefit associated with utilizing Graduate Writer Help compared to hiring an independent contractor (which could potentially run into thousands depending on length/complexity).
This service allows users only pay for what students need, which tends to be much lower overall because customers pay per hour rather than project basis, thus resulting to greater financial flexibility, especially for those just starting out postgraduate studies looking to conserve some pennies here there whenever possible!
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more